Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Weekly Progress Report and Award



I received The Versatile Blogger award from the fabulous C. Lee McKenzie. Thanks C. Lee! And I'm supposed to share seven things about myself. I'll see if I can combine this with my weekly progress report (how's that for efficient?)

1. This past week I wrote almost 12,000 words, so I met my goal of 1667 words/day which I need to finish my rough draft this month.
2. Even better, I got to attend my local SCBWI conference with my good friend Sharon Mayhew from Random Thoughts. I learned some new things, got inspired, and had a terrific time!
3. I'm not doing Nano, but I have been posting my progress with the Facebook group Writers Support 4 U. I'm amazed at how this has helped my motivation to achieve my daily word count.
4. Right now I'm reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin and I'm loving it!
5. My kids and I are reading The Death Cure by James Dashner together. Every night they beg me to keep reading just one more chapter and usually I agree because I don't want to put it down either.
6. Judging from the comments on my post on outlining, I'm kind of an extreme outliner. I'm planning to give pantsing a try with my next wip. I figure I'll never know if it works for me if I never give it a try.
7. I should never be left alone in the house with leftover Halloween candy - a very dangerous combination!

I'm supposed to pass this award on to fifteen bloggers. Since I can't choose, I'd like to pass this on to anyone out there who would like to accept it. Thank you all so much for reading my blog and sharing my writing journey with me!

How's your writing coming this week? Do you have a problem with leftover Halloween candy like I do?

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man... Someone please come and get this Halloween candy!

Good luck pantsing it. I have to do a combination of the two I've found. But if outlining intensely works for you, GREAT! Your process doesn't have to be like anyone else's. :D

Bish Denham said...

Good for you and the progress you're making! (And I need to learn how to outline.)

Anne Gallagher said...

I'm diving back into my book today. Right now, (well as soon as I give my blog buddies a quick read) as a matter of fact.

Anne Gallagher said...

And please don't talk to me about leftover Halloween candy.

Kelly Polark said...

You are doing an AMAZING job for Nano! That is outstanding. I'm getting more down than I ordinarily would, so I am happy about that!
How wonderful that you and Sharon could enjoy the conference together!

Joanne said...

I'm working on a new writing project, and have made lots of progress this week so far. This particular project is all new to me, and it's exciting to learn as I go as I move forward with it!

Old Kitty said...

Lovely Susan!!! Enjoying left over halloween candy is not a problem. It is a necessity!
:-)

Take care
x

DEZMOND said...

congrats on the award, Suzie, you deserve more of that leftover candy!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That sounds like lots of good progress to me! Congrats on the very nice award!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! Good luck with pantsing - I couldn't do it.

DL Hammons said...

I consumed the last of the Halloween candy last night. Phew! Congrats on your award!! :)

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations on your progress! Lucky you, attending a conference too - I still haven't been to a single one. Maybe I should host one here in Montreal, since that seems to be the only way we'll ever have one!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I loved The Death Cure, thought it was perfect, but my son was disappointed with the ending. You'll have to let me know what you think! :)

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm impressed with your progress. I like our FB for encouragement too.

Have fun with Shannon!

My husband bought candy we don't like - smart! I'm doing better with ignoring it as a result!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

12k is brilliant progress. Congrats on your much deserved award!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Wait! There was candy at your house???

Great job on your wip progress. :)

Stina said...

I swear my 11 yo is eating Candy for breakfast, and he didn't even trick-or-treating.

I finished the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer last week. I won't say anything else. ;)

Emily R. King said...

I'm an extreme outliner, too. Let me know how pantsing your next novel goes. I'm too much of a control freak to even try!

Serena Tatti Story Editor said...

Mega congrats on the award! And I am a pantser. I tried plotting a couple of times. Those books remain unfinished. If I plot it and plan it, to me it feels like I've already written it, so I lose interest.

Good luck with it!

Carolyn V said...

Congrats on the awesome award! I'm not doing Nano either. I'm just too busy this November. Maybe next time. ;)

Talli Roland said...

Congrats on all the writing you've been doing! That's fantastic. And on the award, too. :)

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulations on the award!

Good for you on the writing progress. :)

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Wow, you're really going to try pantsing? Well, maybe I should try plotting and we'll exchange notes. :) That's a great idea, Susan.

I'm the same way with Halloween candy ... the scariest part of Halloween is AFTER Halloween! ;)

Amy

Romance Reader said...

Congrats on the award! And all the best!

Kim said...

12,000 words a week must feel like an award in itself! I am lucky if I get that many in, like, 4 months.
Halloween candy is a danger - especially Reeses Peanut Butter Cups :)

Julie Dao said...

You are on fire! Congrats on writing so much this week :) I'm with you on the Halloween candy. If it's in the house, I'll eat it, which is why I try to give it all away as soon as I can!

Marcia said...

Wow, i don't think I've ever written 12,000 words in one week on the same project. Will be interested to hear how pantsing your next book goes.

Paula Kiger said...

Congrats on the award!! Sorry I have been such an inconsistent visitor to your blog! Yes on the Halloween candy except Wayne and Tenley insist on putting all the chocolate in the fridge and I prefer it at room temperature so that (mostly) keeps me away!

Arlee Bird said...

I didn't buy any Halloween candy this year so I don't have to be subjected to that temptation. My NaNo writing is going terribly and my computer has been doing weird things the last few days that has been really interfering with my online activities. Keep up your good writing progress.


Lee
A Faraway View

Anonymous said...

Great progress and I loved The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Congrats on the award.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Wow, that is fantastic progress!!

And yes! The Halloween candy won't go away even though I keep eating it! What's up with that?